Born in Fontainebleau, France, as the son of the painter-engraver Pieter van Schuppen, he worked in the Netherlands before moving to Vienna. He was taught to paint by his father and his uncle Nicolas de Largilliere.
In 1719 he was registered in Luneville, but he moved in the same year to Vienna where he became court painter. In 1725 he was appointed director of the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, when it was refounded by Emperor Charles VI as the k.k. Hofakademie der Maler, Bildhauer und Baukunst (Imperial and Royal Court Academy of painters, sculptors and architecture).
Medium Oil on canvas
Dimensions 146 x 119 cm (57.5 x 46.9 in)